Tuesday, February 8, 2011

#2: M&W Belgian White

It was on a ski trip to Northern California that I was first introduced to Blue Moon Brewing Company's Belgian White.  It seems that many breweries are making a white ale now, but this was years ago and it was the first time I'd tried one.  It was fantastic!  I learned later that white ales brewed in the "Belgian" tradition have orange peel and coriander added during the brew.  I decided to give it a go.

I used the Festa Brew Wheat Ale kit, and added 1 tbsp cracked coriander and the peel (no pitch) from one orange to the primary fermenter. 


I also used liquid yeast (a weizen strain) as opposed to the dried yeast that comes with the Festa Brew kit.  Here is the beer doing it's thing in the secondary fermentor.  I bottled it over the weekend, so in a couple week's time we'll see how the experiment to make a Belgian White ale turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment